March 24, 2009

2009 Growing Season Begins

The growing season for spring 2009 officially began on March 3rd. I got spikes Pepper seedlings ready for transplantingand vinca vine in that day from High Country Growers in Helena.

By March 7, I started some seeding. First batch of tomatoes, lupine, celery, peppers and onions.

The week of March 9, we ended up having some pretty cold weather roll down from Canada. Although it's not completely unheard of for that to happen this time of year, it wasn't welcome either. I ended up having to call a couple of the plant suppliers and have them hold that weeks shipment until the following week as I didn't want to receive frozen plants that couldn't be salvaged. We ended up having single digit to -1°F temperatures. It was chilly, but the wood stove in the house makes up for it.

Weather conditions leveled out the week of March 16, and on the 18th I received the tuberous begonia and fuchsia starts. Those are now all potted up for growing on.

Yesterday, Sandy and I went over to Manhattan to visit Jay Visser at Visser Greenhouses and check out his operation. My retail nursery is small compared to that one. It has nearly 35 greenhouses - most roughly 200 feet long by about 40 feet wide - and they're going full steam ahead. They have lots to do and plenty to fill. I'll post some pics as soon as I get them uploaded from the camera.

No comments: